Professor Chris Manzie
- Control and optimisation (Mechatronics, energy, automotive, autonomous systems)
Chris Manzie is currently a full Professor and Head of Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Melbourne, and also the Director of the Melbourne Information, Decision and Autonomous Systems (MIDAS) Laboratory, which includes academics from multiple faculties including Engineering, Science and Law. Over the period 2003-2016, he was an academic in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, with responsibilities including Assistant Dean with the portfolio of Research Training (2011-2017), and Mechatronics Program Director (2009-2016). Professor Manzie was also a Visiting Scholar with the University of California, San Diego in 2007 and a Visiteur Scientifique at IFP Energies Nouvelles, Rueil Malmaison in 2012. His research interests are in model-based and model-free control and optimisation, with applications in a range of areas including systems related to energy, transportation and mechatronics and he has published over 170 refereed journal and conference articles. He is currently supported by industry collaborations with Toyota Motor Corporation, ANCA Motion, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and the Defence Science and Technology Group, and has been an investigator on over $15M of grant funding and research contracts. He is currently an Associate Editor for Elsevier Control Engineering Practice; IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics; IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology; and Elsevier Mechatronics.
- Manzie C, Hield P, Shekhar R, Brear M. Economic Model Predictive Control and Applications for Diesel Generators. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CONTROL SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY. IEEE Control Systems Society. 2017, Vol. 25, Issue 2.
- Sharafi J, Moase W, Manzie C. A Class of Adaptive Feedforward Control Using Multiplexed Extremum Seeking. 2016 IEEE 55TH CONFERENCE ON DECISION AND CONTROL (CDC). IEEE. 2016.
- Wang K, Manzie C, Nesic D. A Framework for Reference Generation and Control in AFM Imaging. 2016 AUSTRALIAN CONTROL CONFERENCE (AUCC). IEEE. 2016.
- Zou C, Manzie C, Nesic D. A Framework for Simplification of PDE-Based Lithium-Ion Battery Models. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CONTROL SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY. IEEE Control Systems Society. 2016, Vol. 24, Issue 5.
- Lee CF, Manzie C. Active Brake Judder Attenuation Using an Electromechanical Brake-by-Wire System. IEEE-ASME TRANSACTIONS ON MECHATRONICS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 21, Issue 6.
- Clarke W, Manzie C, Brear M. An Economic MPC Approach to Microgrid Control. 2016 AUSTRALIAN CONTROL CONFERENCE (AUCC). IEEE. 2016.
- Broomhead T, Manzie C, Hield P, Brear M. An experimental investigation of additional actuators on a submarine diesel generator. CONTROL ENGINEERING PRACTICE. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 55.
- Bachtiar V, Manzie C, Moase W, Kerrigan EC. Analytical results for the multi-objective design of model-predictive control. CONTROL ENGINEERING PRACTICE. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 56.
- Moase W, Manzie C. Consideration of plant behaviour in optimal servo-compensator design. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CONTROL. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2016, Vol. 89, Issue 7.
- Bachtiar V, Kerrigan EC, Moase W, Manzie C. Continuity and monotonicity of the MPC value function with respect to sampling time and prediction horizon. AUTOMATICA. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 63.
- Kutadinata R, Moase W, Manzie C, Zhang L, Garoni T. Enhancing the performance of existing urban traffic light control through extremum-seeking. TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH PART C-EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 62.
- Kutadinata R, Moase W, Manzie C. Extremum-seeking in Singularly Perturbed Hybrid Systems. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. PP, Issue 99.
- Jeppesen M, Brear M, Chattopadhyay D, Manzie C, Dargaville R, Alpcan T. Least cost, utility scale abatement from Australia's NEM (National Electricity Market). Part 1: Problem formulation and modelling. ENERGY. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 101.
- Brear M, Jeppesen M, Chattopadhyay D, Manzie C, Alpcan T, Dargaville R. Least cost, utility scale abatement from Australia's NEM (National Electricity Market). Part 2: Scenarios and policy implications. ENERGY. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 101.
- Zou C, Manzie C, Nesic D, Kallapur A. Multi-time-scale observer design for state-of-charge and state-of-health of a lithium-ion battery. JOURNAL OF POWER SOURCES. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 335.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile