Professor Chris Manzie
- Control and optimisation (Mechatronics, energy, automotive, autonomous systems)
Chris Manzie is currently a full Professor and Head of Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Melbourne, and also the Director of the Melbourne Information, Decision and Autonomous Systems (MIDAS) Laboratory, which includes academics from multiple faculties including Engineering, Science and Law. Over the period 2003-2016, he was an academic in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, with responsibilities including Assistant Dean with the portfolio of Research Training (2011-2017), and Mechatronics Program Director (2009-2016). Professor Manzie was also a Visiting Scholar with the University of California, San Diego in 2007 and a Visiteur Scientifique at IFP Energies Nouvelles, Rueil Malmaison in 2012.
His research interests are in model-based and model-free control and optimisation, with applications in a range of areas including systems related to energy, transportation and mechatronics and he has published over 170 refereed journal and conference articles. He is currently supported by industry collaborations with Toyota Motor Corporation, ANCA Motion and the Defence Science and Technology Group, and has been an investigator on over $15M of grant funding and research contracts.
He is currently an Associate Editor for Elsevier Control Engineering Practice; IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics; IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology; and Elsevier Mechatronics.
- Zou C, Manzie C, Nesic D. Model Predictive Control for Lithium-Ion Battery Optimal Charging. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/TMECH.2018.2798930
- Sharafi J, Moase W, Manzie C. Multiplexed extremum seeking for calibration of spark timing in a CNG-fuelled engine. Control Engineering Practice. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 72. DOI: 10.1016/j.conengprac.2017.11.005
- Shaw-Cortez W, Oetomo D, Manzie C, Choong P. Tactile-Based Blind Grasping: A Discrete-Time Object Manipulation Controller for Robotic Hands. IEEE ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 3, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/LRA.2018.2794612
- Blom M, Brear M, Manzie C, Wiese AP. A PHYSICS-BASED DYNAMIC MODEL FOR BOILERS, PART 1: MODEL DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION. ASME Turbo Expo: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition. ASME International. 2017, Vol. 6. DOI: 10.1115/GT201763543
- Blom M, Brear M, Manzie C, Wiese AP. A PHYSICS-BASED DYNAMIC MODEL FOR BOILERS, PART 2: MODEL REDUCTION IN A COGENERATION APPLICATION. ASME Turbo Expo: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition. ASME International. 2017, Vol. 6. DOI: 10.1115/GT201763546
- Broomhead T, Manzie C, Hield P, Shekhar R, Brear M. Economic Model Predictive Control and Applications for Diesel Generators. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CONTROL SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY. IEEE Control Systems Society. 2017, Vol. 25, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/TCST.2016.2574758
- Kutadinata R, Moase W, Manzie C. Extremum-Seeking in Singularly Perturbed Hybrid Systems. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON AUTOMATIC CONTROL. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 62, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1109/TAC.2016.2607282
- Bachtiar V, Manzie C, Kerrigan EC. Nonlinear Model-Predictive Integrated Missile Control and Its Multiobjective Tuning. JOURNAL OF GUIDANCE CONTROL AND DYNAMICS. 2017, Vol. 40, Issue 11. DOI: 10.2514/1.G002279
- Ramos M, Manzie C, Shekhar R. Online optimisation of fuel consumption subject to NOx constraints. 20th World Congress of the International-Federation-of-Automatic-Control (IFAC). Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 50, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1016/j.ifacol.2017.08.1288
- Shaw Cortez W, Oetomo D, Manzie C, Choong P. Robust Object Manipulation for Prosthetic Hand Applications. 2017 IEEE 56TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON DECISION AND CONTROL (CDC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/CDC.2017.8264539
- Sharafi J, Moase W, Manzie C. A Class of Adaptive Feedforward Control Using Multiplexed Extremum Seeking. 2016 IEEE 55TH CONFERENCE ON DECISION AND CONTROL (CDC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016. DOI: 10.1109/CDC.2016.7798573
- Wang K, Manzie C, Nesic D. A Framework for Reference Generation and Control in AFM Imaging. 2016 AUSTRALIAN CONTROL CONFERENCE (AUCC). IEEE. 2016. DOI: 10.1109/AUCC.2016.7868204
- Zou C, Manzie C, Nesic D. A Framework for Simplification of PDE-Based Lithium-Ion Battery Models. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CONTROL SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY. IEEE Control Systems Society. 2016, Vol. 24, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1109/TCST.2015.2502899
- Lee CF, Manzie C. Active Brake Judder Attenuation Using an Electromechanical Brake-by-Wire System. IEEE-ASME TRANSACTIONS ON MECHATRONICS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 21, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1109/TMECH.2016.2571318
- Clarke W, Manzie C, Brear M. An Economic MPC Approach to Microgrid Control. 2016 AUSTRALIAN CONTROL CONFERENCE (AUCC). IEEE. 2016. DOI: 10.1109/AUCC.2016.7868202
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile