Professor Priyan Mendis
- Fire behaviour of structures
- High-strength concrete
- Modelling and durability of Infrastructure, New Construction and Defence Materials, Sustainable Infrastructure (Tall Buildings, Bridges, Disaster Management)
- Nanotechnology in Construction, Structural BioEngineering
- Protective Technology of Structures (Blast effects)
- Testing and Assessment of infrastructure (Non destructive testing)
- Wind effects on Tall buildings
Priyan Mendis is a Professor in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering and the Leader of the Advanced Protective Technology of Engineering Structures Group. He was also the Convener of the ARC Research Network for a Secure Australia (RNSA) from 2004 -2011.
Prof Mendis obtained his PhD from Monash University, Australia.
He is also the Director of the ARC Centre for Advanced Manufacturing of Prefabricated Housing Research interests
- Protective technology of structures
-Smart Infrastructure, design, assessment and monitoring
- Seismic design of reinforced and prestressed concrete structures
- Design of tall buildings and bridges
- Disaster mitigation and management
- Sustainable infrastructure
He is also a member of several institutions including: Institution of Engineering, Concrete Institute of Australia and American Concrete Institute.
- Samarasinghe T, Mendis P, Aye L. An optimisation method for MEP plant room modularization. Proceedings of Zero Energy Mass Custom Home 2018. 2018.
- Thalpe Guruge P, Samarasinghe T, Gunawardena D, Nguyen T, Mendis P, Ngo T, Aye L. An optimum construction strategy for multi-story residential prefabricated modular buildings. Proceedings of Zero Energy Mass Custom Home 2018. 2018.
- Lee H, Vimonsatit V, Chindaprasirt P, Ngo T, Mendis P. Creep properties of cement and alkali activated fly ash materials using nanoindentation technique. Construction and Building Materials. Elsevier BV. 2018, Vol. 168. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.02.166
- Hajimohammadi A, Ngo T, Mendis P. Enhancing the strength of pre-made foams for foam concrete applications. CEMENT & CONCRETE COMPOSITES. Pergamon. 2018, Vol. 87. DOI: 10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2017.12.014
- Wijayasundara M, Mendis P, Crawford RH. Integrated assessment of the use of recycled concrete aggregate replacing natural aggregate in structural concrete. JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 174. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.10.301
- Maranan GB, Manalo AC, Benmokrane B, Karunasena W, Mendis P, Nguyen TQ. Shear behaviour of geopolymer-concrete beams transversely reinforced with continuous rectangular GFRP composite spirals. COMPOSITE STRUCTURES. Pergamon. 2018, Vol. 187. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2017.12.080
- Herath N, Mendis P, Zhang L. A probabilistic study of ground motion simulation for Bangkok soil. BULLETIN OF EARTHQUAKE ENGINEERING. Springer. 2017, Vol. 15, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1007/s10518-016-0058-6
- Kashani A, Ngo T, Mendis P, Black J, Hajimohammadi A. A sustainable application of recycled tyre crumbs as insulator in lightweight cellular concrete. JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 149. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.02.154
- Hajimohammadi A, Ngo T, Mendis P, Kashani A, Van Deventer J. Alkali activated slag foams: The effect of the alkali reaction on foam characteristics. JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 147. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.01.134
- Sofi M, Lumantarna E, Mendis P, Duffield C, Rajabifard A. Assessment of a pedestrian bridge dynamics using interferometric radar system IBIS-FS. 6th Asia-Pacific Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring (APWSHM). Elsevier BV. 2017, Vol. 188. Editors: Chiu WK, Galea S, Mita A, Takeda N. DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2017.04.454
- Samarasinghe T, Mendis P, Aye L, Gunawardena D, Karunaratne R. BIM and modular MEP systems for super-tall and mega-tall buildings. 8th International Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction Management. University of Peradeniya. 2017.
- Wijayasundara M, Crawford R, Mendis P. Comparative assessment of embodied energy of recycled aggregate concrete. JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 152. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.03.118
- Wijayasundara M, Mendis P, Ngo T. Comparative assessment of the benefits associated with the absorption of CO2 with the use of RCA in structural concrete. JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 158. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.03.230
- Rupasinghe M, Mendis P, Ngo T, Sofi M. Compressive strength prediction of nano-silica incorporated cement systems based on a multiscale approach. MATERIALS & DESIGN. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 115. DOI: 10.1016/j.matdes.2016.11.058
- Imbalzano G, Tran P, Linforth S, Ngo T, Lee P, Mendis P. Design optimisation of auxetic composite structures under blast loading. ACMSM 24 Conference - ACMSM 24 Conference - Mechanics of Structures and Materials: Advancements and Challenges. 2017.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile